Monday, May 16, 2016

The Kitchen Sink- Oops! A bad decision

Here is the old kitchen sink...



I made a bad decision on the sink and faucet. I was so frustrated with my old cracked and stained white cast iron sink that I thought that maybe I should go with stainless instead.  I knew I couldn't do a farmhouse sink without redoing the sink cabinet...and that wasn't in our budget.  The plumber pointed out that I have stainless appliances and a stainless sink and faucet would look best, so I went ahead and had him order it.

When they installed it I knew I made the wrong choice.  I even did dishes in it and tried to like it...after all it was a new sink and better than the sink I used to have.  I felt terrible, but I called the plumber and told him I needed the sink changed.

I looked at pictures of kitchens from 1910 and noticed that all the sinks were white drainboard sinks with chrome faucets...




After talking with friends (thank you Kelly Lundin and Courtney Downs!) I decided to have the stainless sink and faucet removed and replace it with a white sink and polished chrome faucet.  This looks much better and the finish on this sink isn't supposed to crack or stain.




It isn't a drainboard sink from 1910, but seems to fit the rest of the house and kitchen better than the stainless steel. All of our bathrooms have white sinks and chrome faucets too.  I don't know why I didn't make that connection from the start. Live and learn. There were bound to be mistakes.

Final kitchen photos coming soon!  Just waiting on finishing touches this week.  If you get a minute take a look at my "Doors and Floors"post from last week.  I just added a final photo of the stained floors.

Thanks for reading my blog!  -Sadie

5 comments:

  1. Love it! So gorgeous! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to live and learn! Lol! I enjoyed the vintage photos! I really love to see young people look to old homes for inspiration! Your home is coming along perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney! It is fun to look at the old photos to get a historical perspective. They had very little counter space and used a table to do their baking and prep work. It is tough to make a new kitchen look like an original. There have been so many great improvements over the years. Appliances, for example, are hard to place in these old kitchens but certainly nice to have! One of those photos reminds me of that old plaid kitchen carpet you ripped out. ;) You have done a wonderful job mixing old and new in your kitchen. Thanks for the inspiration!

      Delete
  2. Good choice!! Glad you said something to the plumber and switched it out. Also, isn't is amazing how an upgraded faucet can feel just luxurious too?

    I'm not a huge fan of stainless steel sinks either. My mom, who is not a super critical woman, hates them and says they look cheap. She's right though IMO, most of the apartments I've lived in had them. They show water spots horribly too.

    In my last apartment on Quincy St (built in 1889) I had the steel cabinet with white doors and the big white drainboard single sink. Once you get used to doing dishes in a double sink, it's hard to imagine how you should do them in a single sink. And I found that although the drainboard was handy, while it sat under a dishrack (no dishwasher in that apartment), it was just another thing to clean, with tons of grooves that liked to pick up dust and dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the drainboard sink on Quincy. That apartment had great character. Yes, the new sink certainly feels luxurious compared to the stainless and my original. I think I'm going to use plastic tubs to do dishes in it. I don't want to get this pretty sink all scratched up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for such an informative piece of information :)
    If anyone interested similar one's have a look here
    bestfarmhousesink

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete