Thursday, April 14, 2016

Kitchen - The Island and Plan for Remodel Project

When we first looked at this house we knew the kitchen needed work.  Kitchen remodels often scare people away because of the cost, decisions, time without a kitchen, and the mess!  I really enjoy cooking and it makes a world of difference to have a functional kitchen.  The kitchen is where everyone gathers and is the heart of the home. This is the first time I have remodeled a kitchen and I'm a bit nervous about it.  I just have to keep in mind that all this hassle will be worth it in the end.

The kitchen at our old house had beautiful tile floors, black granite countertops, and a layout that made cooking easy.  I hope I can make this kitchen just as beautiful.  No matter how much I disliked the kitchen in this house, I didn't want to remodel it right away.  I needed to cook in it awhile to discover what I liked and didn't like about it. When the kitchen is done the entire first floor will be complete!

Here is a picture of the kitchen after we moved here. There are fruit and vegetable tiles on the backsplash.  The countertops are wood grain laminate. The cupboard doors were painted many layers of white paint. The flooring was probably black and white at one time, but now looks dingy and yellow.  It is cracked and beyond repair.  I actually lived with all of these things just fine.  The thing that bothered me the most in the kitchen was the L-shaped cabinet and no prep space or storage. 



Here is a photo of the L-shaped cabinet.  By the way, what on Earth am I supposed to put on those little shelves that my kids aren't just going to knock on the floor?  This whole L-shaped cabinet with shelves needs to go.  I can't even put the silverware in the drawers when the dishwasher is open.  My plan is to replace this cabinet with a straight cabinet that has several large drawers.  This will also allow for a larger walkway and easier access to the pantry.

To address the prep space problem, I found this yellow island on Craigslist. The Island has extra storage and a butcher block top! I can now prep near the refrigerator, stove and sink.    When we need a quick snack or lunch or weeknight meal we eat in the kitchen. We reserve the formal dining room for dinner. The only problem with the island was the color. I painted it black which will look great with the other changes I'm planning for the kitchen. There are two spots to sit at the island, but these stools were too tall.



I added some new industrial looking adjustable stools.  I painted the fruit and vegetable tiles because I couldn't look at them anymore. Ha! The backsplash will be removed and replaced with old looking wainscoting and trim. Ugh, that terrible florescent ceiling light!!!  I forgot to mention that I really dislike the lighting in the kitchen.

It is important to me to give the kitchen an old feel even though I will be putting new things in it.  This historic home deserves a kitchen that fits the rest of the house.  Here are a few photos I'm using for inspiration for the new kitchen:





Here is the plan for the kitchen remodel:
1.   Remove and replace backsplash
2.   Remove the flooring and refinish the hardwood floors underneath
3.   Remove the L-shaped cabinet and replace it with a straight cabinet with drawers
4.   Replace countertops sink, faucet 
5.   Replace all cabinet doors with shaker style white painted doors.
6.   Replace all hardware with pewter cup pulls and knobs
7.   Paint Walls Revere Pewter and the inside of the cabinets White.
8.   Add trim and tall baseboards
9.   Replace lighting above the island and above the sink
10. Enjoy a dinner in the new kitchen!

This process will take several weeks.  Our goal is to be finished by Memorial weekend.  I will make several posts about our progress.  Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck! Can't wait to see the after! Your inspiration photos are gorgeous! I love the vision you have for this project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney! Your beautiful kitchen has inspired me as well. You did a great job of balancing the old with the new.

      Delete
  2. Good luck!! I'll be watching your progress ;)

    ReplyDelete